POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Sim_POV: Mid Air Collisions : Re: Sim_POV: Mid Air Collisions Server Time
19 Jul 2024 11:38:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sim_POV: Mid Air Collisions
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 19 Dec 2002 03:07:17
Message: <3E017E32.1EE4FC75@gmx.de>
Fidel viegas wrote:

> This is what a friend of mine said: "No one uses command line any more
> (talking of himself), that is out of fashion and it is too complicated. We
> are in a new generation: GUI based apps."
>
> He just thinks that command line is something from another world. And most
> guys that avoid it, just think it is something from another world that
> requires a lot of knowledge.

I know there are people who think this way (and i see it everyday when
people start panicking when they find themself in front of an X Terminal
with nothing but a xterm and being supposed to work... ;-)

Command line is a bit like using POV-Ray - there are a lot of people who
think that coding a 3D scene in a text editor is awfully old fashioned but
you can see everyday in these newsgroups and in the IRTC that this can be
an extremely efficient and productive technique.

I won't deny that a GUI application is easier to start with for an
intuitive, autodidactic approach of a newbie but this does not mean
command line apps are useless.  In case of Sim-POV you won't have any
advantage in learning the new features from the GUI version (because it's
no different from the plain 3.5 GUI).

Christoph

Last updated 07 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______